Monday, March 26, 2012

Hypocritical Bias

I am just laughing at this mockery as these bran muffins, whoever they were who posted that idiocy, ridicule other people.  Shame on you!

Excited to finally have my two days off, I was completely taken over by a jubilant spirit. It was supposedly an easy breezy ride. It should have been had not the jeepney pulled off at that junction.  I was whiling my time, enjoying the puff of air while the vehicle traversed its way through Quiapo, when a sudden flash of the most appalling poster/ad crossed my peripheral vision. The word “warning,” deliberately set in bold face, caught my attention first and the rest had me taken aback. The entire wording went somewhat like this:

WARNING:
Ayon sa salita ng Diyos, ang mga nakikisama sa
hindi talaga nila asawa o sa kapwa
lalaki/babae ay masusunog sa impiyerno.


In a reflex of denial, my brain seemed to purposely delay the processing of the context that was contained in the sentence and the very moment the idea unfurled, information went haywire. I had an impulse, something inside me was persuading me to get off the jeep and tear the damn thing apart. I awoke from my mental arguments when the jeep buzzed away.

The rest of my way home was spent pondering on thoughts. I am no atheist and I believe in my God. However, I couldn’t let this pass. I have spent my life witnessing members of the gay society being cursed, condemned, abused and pierced with belittling eyes.

I know that my puny existence does not command anything. On the one hand, I was given free will that I can use to stand up for what I believe in. This problem with double standard societies builds a wall among individuals, though human alike. It discriminates something that it finds  odd. It purely trashes humanity as it scorns its own kind.

On a heightened perspective, having to convict people to burn in hell is somewhat disturbing. Would we then denounce a gay man, who has worked hard all his life to provide for his family and lift them up from poverty, of his place in His Kingdom or would it be a straight man, who sleeps with his wife and three more women in the shadow of deceit? Is a macho propagating drugs in our country worthier than an effeminate who teaches values to his sisters? It’s up for you to decide.

I so believe, as my Pareng BO puts it, that every individual born of flesh is equally good and evil. It is a matter of how you use what you have that clearly defines who you are.

I want to leave this scene from the gay series, Queer as Folk, for you to think of.

Queer: This book (referring to the Bible), do you have to believe all of it. Not just some of it??
Pastor: That’s right!
Queer: So, do you like shrimp?
Pastor: As a matter of fact, I do.
Queer: Because in Leviticus, few scriptures before that man lying with man is abomination one, it also says it’s  an abomination to eat shellfish and shrimp are shellfish, right?
Pastor: What’s the point young man?
Queer: I believe the point is, if you can eat shrimp we can eat c*ck!
Pastor: Son, you need the Lord. You need to accept Jesus.
Queer: Oh, I accept Jesus. It’s assholes like you I have a problem with.

 ***This was based on an account last March 24, 2012.

No comments: